Return of the Hydra
Kern is an ever growing empire that now occupies a great part of the Midlands. Kern believes itself to be the centre of the universe and the true protector of mankind. Everlasting peace can only be achieved by subduing all other nations and the people will only be safe once the last ‘magic abuser’ has been burned. Kern has shown some tolerance towards Half-Humans and towards Dwarves, Gnomes and Halflings, as long as these ‘midgets’ don’t claim the same rights as full-blood humans. However, the Kernian Inquisitors relentlessly pursue all members of the so called ‘freak-races’, so they are well-advised to stay out of Kernian territory completely.
Kernians speak Common. Most of them worship Kern, the god of law and order, although the more intellectual members of Kernian society see their God more as a ideological concept than as a real ‘God’.
Racial modifiers for Kernians:
- +2 to One Ability Score: Human characters get a +2 bonus to one ability score of their choice at creation to represent their varied nature.
- Medium: Humans are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Normal Speed: Humans have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Bonus Feat: Humans select one extra feat at 1st level.
- Skilled: Humans gain 1 additional skill point at first level and one additional point whenever they gain a level.
- Languages: Humans know 1 additional language
- Favored Class: Fighter
- Territorial Affinity: Kernian humans with 13+ CHA/13+ INT can use Kernian Purge 1x
each day and once more for every 5 levels.
- Kernian Purge: spell-like ability (can be disrupted!)
standard action, provokes attacks of opportunity
The spell needs to be delivered on a melee touch attack or on an attack with a silver melee weapon. The attack is part of the standard action. The spell affects both you and the creature touched. Both of you are affected by ‘Dispel Magic’, cast at your level.
Also, the spell deals 1d6 radiant damage for every 2 levels if the creature touched is undead, a lycanthrope or otherwise vulnerable to silver. A successful Will save (DC 10+1/2 level+ Charisma modifier) reduces this damage by half.
- Alignment: Kernian society tends to be lawful.